Tuesday, August 19, 2014

How do PVC Bows Compare to Proper Archery Equipment


Last winter I started messing around with the idea of making archery equipment from some of the assorted piece of PVC pipe that I have scattered around my yard from all my aquaponic plumbing jobs over the years.  Well, it didn't take me long to realize that PVC bows work a whole lot better if you make them from new pipe at least schedule 40 or thicker in wall diameter.  Those first few bows just bent right back in my hands.  Once I figured that out, things came along quite nicely.  I tried a few different methods for making them, if you want to check on YouTube there are loads of awesome videos & I recommend Backyard Bowyer as a great place to start, and that all seemed to work out alright too!  So far, so good … right?
I made a quick little video comparing 4 different PVC bows that I had made, or was working on, and thought things were progressing quite nicely.  For the most part the bows were solid and great for starting out or practice in a tiny yard like the one here.  I had a lot of fun with them, but it takes more to make for an ethical hunt in my opinion.  I soon came to the opinion that a proper recurve bow would be required before I would feel comfortable to hunt, or even fish, with it.
This took me on a wonderful adventure to Back Country Sports, a local archery enthusiast turned store owner, to find a quality piece of equipment.  I learned more about how a bow functions in that one afternoon than in the almost 4 decades that came before it.  We ended up setting up a beautiful 45# takedown recurve bow for just over $200.  Not too bad, I've bought cars for less but I wouldn't take them out hunting …
Once I got home with my new bow I just had to try it out.  Off to the backyard with all my assorted accessories that I had put together for the PVC bows to have some fun!
First I tested that wooden archers release that I had made and I can honestly say that I was impressed with how well it did but I can see how some little changes might just make it a whole lot better.  After that came the 3 finger glove that I had cut from some old work gloves and again I was pretty pleased with the results.  In fact, the glove soon won the position of preferred release aid for the new bow!  Great, sort of.  Within the first 50 or so shots the top fingertip had almost come off of the glove completely.  Since this leaves my finger exposed to that string pressure a new way to release was once again required.  That’s how I ended up with the rubber sandal cut into a finger tab that I am currently using.  Not bad, for now, but I will be picking up some proper archers gloves on one of my next paydays.
So really the question is how does home made PVC style archery equipment compare to the proper ‘sport shop’ type stuff.  Well, it’s like this … if you're broke & just getting started then go out and make yourself some gear.  It will be educational and making things yourself can be very satisfying.  A decent PVC bow will work just fine for practice in the backyard or teaching your kids about basic archery.  However, if your interest in archery is a little more advanced and you're thinking about stocking the freezer to feed the family then I would strongly recommend visiting a pro shop and getting someone there to set you up with the right equipment for you.  It’s not exactly one size fits all out there & it pays to get the right fit for you!
Basically both can be great, in the correct time & place.  I hope this has been helpful, comical or both!
Now, go play outside!


No comments:

Post a Comment